Corgarff Castle

Corgarff Castle

Corgarff Castle

Corgarff Castle

Corgarff Castle is a 16th century, four-storey tower house that was heavily modified in 1748 when it was converted into a fort with the addition of two single-storey pavilions and an outer wall forming a star-shaped barmkin.

In 1748 the castle was bought by the government and converted for use as a fort. The garrison had left by 1802 but returned 25 years later when it was used as a base in support of excise men trying to stamp out illicit whisky distilling. It was abandoned by the army in 1831 and by the end of the century was a ruin. The castle was fully restored in the 1960's and now contains an exhibition and reconstruction of a barrack room.
Ref:
Date:
10/09/06
Location:
Aberdeenshire
Photographer:
Martin Skidmore